GENERAL PANTS CO: Brisbane Mural

The legends at Authority Creative invited me to be a part of an exciting mural project with General Pants Co. With a new store being built on Elizabeth Street in sunny Brisbane, I was happy to put together sketches and artwork for an installation behind the counter. With an open brief, I put together one of my trademark skeleton-bikers... along with tiger, snake and blooms of smoke.

The two day installation (around a golden elevator shaft) was lots of fun. The General Pants Co merchandising team were busy behind me finding homes for everything in their new store, and it was super fascinating overhearing their retail-process.

I was also trialing a new black. A Dulux Theatre Black, mixed with Grog Death Black additive to make it blacker and more durable. It worked and came out with a thick and very matte (almost powdery) effect. I think next time I'll try it with Weathershield paints. I really like messing with the blacks for murals... as long as there's enough to use across the whole wall.

Mid-mural, I was visited by my buddy Mark from No Cure Magazine.
He took some rad photos of the process.
And did an intervew with Chris Skyner (Authority Creative) about the project:
www.nocuremagazine.com/no-cure-blog/new-murals-at-general-pants-brisbane

MAZ_4060_web2.jpg
 My taped-dropsheets with assorted paints, brushes and drinks. There is a Starbucks next door ... I must have had FIFTY iced long-blacks.

My taped-dropsheets with assorted paints, brushes and drinks.
There is a Starbucks next door ... I must have had FIFTY iced long-blacks.

MAZ_4029_web.jpg
 I filled in the gold with spray paint (MTN94). Then cut back over the gold in the custom matte-black.

I filled in the gold with spray paint (MTN94).
Then cut back over the gold in the custom matte-black.

 Painting around obstacles. This (blinding) light would soon wear the General Pants Co logo.

Painting around obstacles.
This (blinding) light would soon wear the General Pants Co logo.

 The approved sketch... the dimensions changed slightly, but the design still worked really well around the space. Each element is flexible, allowing it to be pieced together.

The approved sketch... the dimensions changed slightly, but the design still worked really well around the space. Each element is flexible, allowing it to be pieced together.

 As well as the main wall I also did some fancy lettering across the walls of the changerooms. This STRIP OFF HERE - GET YOUR GEAR OFF lettering was lots of fun to paint.

As well as the main wall I also did some fancy lettering across the walls of the changerooms. This STRIP OFF HERE - GET YOUR GEAR OFF lettering was lots of fun to paint.