HIGHTEE SCREENPRINTING: Melbourne Mural Artwork

I was stoked to be asked to paint the GIANT factory wall of High Tee Screenprinting's new Melbourne workspace. The nearly three-storey high walls were a pleasure to paint over the hot summery weekend. It took about two (and a bit) long days to paint, using Dulux Weathershield paints, brushes and rollers. The Uni Pro 'Little Ripper' actually played a big part in this mural, as did my pencil on a stick trick.

Given free-rein with the concept, I decided on a motorcycling skeleton dragging a squeegee of ink across the wall... amongst various rad obstacles (snakes and panther). The colours are deliberately bold, with minimal colours, to represent the screenprinting format. 

If you're in the West Footscray area, in need of printing... hit these fellas up.
www.highteescreenprinting.com.au- @highteescreenprinting on

instagram.Photos taken by my good buddy Grizzle.

High up on a retractable ladder, filling in some last few touchups.
The mural goes up into their upstairs ink-storage and office spaces.

The printed sketch I worked from for the mural.
You can see how the artwork extends to the far corners.
Also note the cheeky note I added, before leaving it on their desk.

My trick for sketching up on a big-scale wall. Taping a pencil to an extension pole ... it's strange, but it works.

My trick for sketching up on a big-scale wall.
Taping a pencil to an extension pole ... it's strange, but it works.

HIGH TEE [SINDY3].jpg
Most colours (always yellow and orange) seem to require two sometimes three coats. For this wall, it was best to fill in the yellow a few times, then cut back the black edges.

Most colours (always yellow and orange) seem to require two sometimes three coats.
For this wall, it was best to fill in the yellow a few times, then cut back the black edges.

The proportions of the wall were slightly different to expected. So I pieced together the sketch to fit around obstacles (like shelving etc). This is a pretty regular occurrence. Being flexible helps quickly fix this.

The proportions of the wall were slightly different to expected.
So I pieced together the sketch to fit around obstacles (like shelving etc).
This is a pretty regular occurrence. Being flexible helps quickly fix this.

Obligatory selfie in front of a section of the wall. Including the extension pole I'd hung from for the past two days.

Obligatory selfie in front of a section of the wall.
Including the extension pole I'd hung from for the past two days.

For scale ... here I am air-guitaring infront of the wall. Probably to Blakroc, Fu Manchu or Chemical Brothers (which kept me going through this long and seemingly neverending wall). I also listened to most of Rob Brydon's audiobook 'Small Man In A Book'.

For scale ... here I am air-guitaring infront of the wall. Probably to Blakroc, Fu Manchu or Chemical Brothers (which kept me going through this long and seemingly neverending wall). I also listened to most of Rob Brydon's audiobook 'Small Man In A Book'.

GENERAL PANTS CO: Brisbane Mural

The legends at Authority Creative invited me to be a part of an exciting mural project with General Pants Co. With a new store being built on Elizabeth Street in sunny Brisbane, I was happy to put together sketches and artwork for an installation behind the counter. With an open brief, I put together one of my trademark skeleton-bikers... along with tiger, snake and blooms of smoke.

The two day installation (around a golden elevator shaft) was lots of fun. The General Pants Co merchandising team were busy behind me finding homes for everything in their new store, and it was super fascinating overhearing their retail-process.

I was also trialing a new black. A Dulux Theatre Black, mixed with Grog Death Black additive to make it blacker and more durable. It worked and came out with a thick and very matte (almost powdery) effect. I think next time I'll try it with Weathershield paints. I really like messing with the blacks for murals... as long as there's enough to use across the whole wall.

Mid-mural, I was visited by my buddy Mark from No Cure Magazine.
He took some rad photos of the process.
And did an intervew with Chris Skyner (Authority Creative) about the project:
www.nocuremagazine.com/no-cure-blog/new-murals-at-general-pants-brisbane

MAZ_4060_web2.jpg
My taped-dropsheets with assorted paints, brushes and drinks. There is a Starbucks next door ... I must have had FIFTY iced long-blacks.

My taped-dropsheets with assorted paints, brushes and drinks.
There is a Starbucks next door ... I must have had FIFTY iced long-blacks.

MAZ_4029_web.jpg
I filled in the gold with spray paint (MTN94). Then cut back over the gold in the custom matte-black.

I filled in the gold with spray paint (MTN94).
Then cut back over the gold in the custom matte-black.

Painting around obstacles. This (blinding) light would soon wear the General Pants Co logo.

Painting around obstacles.
This (blinding) light would soon wear the General Pants Co logo.

The approved sketch... the dimensions changed slightly, but the design still worked really well around the space. Each element is flexible, allowing it to be pieced together.

The approved sketch... the dimensions changed slightly, but the design still worked really well around the space. Each element is flexible, allowing it to be pieced together.

As well as the main wall I also did some fancy lettering across the walls of the changerooms. This STRIP OFF HERE - GET YOUR GEAR OFF lettering was lots of fun to paint.

As well as the main wall I also did some fancy lettering across the walls of the changerooms. This STRIP OFF HERE - GET YOUR GEAR OFF lettering was lots of fun to paint.